Get pre-qualified for a personal loan in just minutes with no impact on your credit score.
Compare Best Adoption Financing Options Online
How to Get an Adoption Loan
The decision to adopt can set you on a long and complicated path – but one that may be the best decision of your adult life, allowing you to become a parent and change the life of your future child.
Adoption can be a surprisingly expensive process, and fortunately, there are loans and grants available that may help to cover some of the costs.
Applying for adoption financing is fast and easy:
Compare Your Personal Loan Options
What are adoption loans?
An adoption loan is a financing option for people who want to adopt. It’s a personal loan that will be used to cover expenses concerning domestic, embryo, or international adoptions. Adoption loans are generally unsecured and don’t require any collateral, though there are also secured options.
Because of this, lenders tend to charge more interest than a home equity loan or auto loan. If borrowers choose to apply for a secured loan, they’re more likely to receive a better rate than if they choose an unsecured loan and don’t put up any collateral.
Lenders that offer adoption financing
✔ Minimum Credit Score: 660
✔ APR: 2.49% - 19.99%
✔ Funding turnaround: as soon as same business day
LightStream offers up to $100K on personal loans as soon as same business day (the most out of most lenders!)
✔ Minimum Credit Score: 660
✔ APR: 5.99% - 24.99%
✔ Funding turnaround: within 24 hours
Borrowers can get funded as fast as next business day with Discover personal loans.
✔ Minimum Credit Score: 700
✔ APR: 6.79% - 17.99%
✔ Funding turnaround: within 24 hours
Individuals with good to excellent credit can get funds as fast as next business day with AXOS Bank personal loans.
Benefits of adoption loans
The major benefit of an adoption loan is, of course, making adopting more affordable for many families. The adoption process can cost up to $40,000, which is out of most people’s budget. Adoption loans can help you manage the fees associated with adoption so you can focus on what’s important.
How does an adoption loan work?
An adoption loan is usually a personal loan you receive in a lump sum to help you cover the costs involved with adoption. You apply for your financing, get approved, and the money is paid into your bank account.
Popular types of adoption financing options
You aren’t limited to securing your adoption financing through a personal loan, though that is the most popular option. Here are the options you have available:
- Personal loans: Personal loans can be used for pretty much anything, and if you have good or excellent credit, you’ll often be able to get a loan with low interest.
- Specialist loans: but you can also apply for a no- or low-interest loan from organizations that help with adoption. These organizations include ABBA Fund (for Christian families), HelpUsAdopt.org, GiftofAdoption.org, and more.
- Credit cards: credit cards are another option for easy access to funds, and can be a great choice if you can get a card with a long 0% interest period.
- Personal line of credit: A personal line of credit is unsecured revolving credit which works similarly to a credit card. Like a home equity line of credit (or HELOC), this lets you borrow several times throughout the adoption process (provided you can pay it back as you go).
- HELOC: A HELOC (home equity line of credit) is another form of revolving credit where you can borrow several times during your draw period, provided you don’t go over the set borrowing limit. Once the draw period is finished, you cannot borrow through your HELOC anymore, and you’ll need to pay back whatever you owe, either immediately or over an agreed repayment period. The main downside of a HELOC is that it’s secured against your home, so if you don’t keep up with the repayments, your home may be seized.
- Cash-out refinance: this involves refinancing for more than you owe on your home and getting paid the remainder as cash. In essence, this option consolidates your adoption funds into your mortgage so you can spread out payments over the mortgage repayment term.
Are there alternatives to adoption loans?
Here are some alternatives to adoption loans:
Crowdfunding: many people don’t like the idea of asking the general public for money, but it’s a great way for friends and family to chip in whatever they can. Many crowdfunding websites allow anonymous donations so people can contribute as much (or as little) as they’d like.
Adoption grants: some organizations offer grants for adoption, which is essentially free money you don’t have to pay back. The terms of these grants are more strict than something like a personal loan, but if you can get them, are well worth your time. Some of the organizations that offer grants are:
- Gift of Adoption
- A Child Waits Foundation
- National Adoption Foundation
- Associates Home Loan
Borrow from family: borrowing money from family isn’t often a good idea, but for a life and family-changing decision like this one, it is one of the best times to do so. Asking your family to help fund your adoption will help bring your family into the process with you and offer you extra support.
Do interest-free adoption loans exist?
Here are some non-profits that may be able to help with interest-free loans:
- ABBA Fund (for Christian families)
- Hebrew Free Loan Association (for Jewish families)
- International Association of Jewish Free Loans (available to all faiths)
- Pathways for Little Feet
- Lifesong for Orphans
If you have an excellent credit score, you may be able to get a credit card with a 0% interest introductory period, which will offer you the same benefits as an interest-free loan.
What credit score do I need to qualify for an adoption loan?
What credit score you need depends entirely on the type of funding you choose and the specific lender’s terms. If you have an excellent credit score, you’ll be able to borrow the most with the best terms, but if you don’t, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to borrow.
If your credit score is less than perfect, look into alternative lending options before looking at the traditional options – if you can secure a no-interest loan through an adoption organization you’ll be much better off in the long run.
Adoption loan payment calculator
Ready to apply for a personal loan?
Compare rates from top lenders with no impact on your credit, ever.
Ready to apply for adoption financing? Get started today.
Need help finding the right loan?
No worries, we've got you covered! Compare personalized loan options in just minutes without impact on your credit score.
How Pasha Funding Works
Compare Your Personal Loan Options
How do I get a loan for adoption?
If you’re looking for an adoption loan, here are a few things to do first:
- Establish how much you’ll need to finance the whole process. Figure out how much (if any) of the money you’ll be able to front yourself and how much you will need to borrow. This will give you an idea of the type of lenders to approach.
- Look into grants before you apply for a loan – you may be able to access funds via the government or a non-profit to help you better afford the process.
- Compare your loan options and look for one that will offer you the best terms and make borrowing the most affordable to you.
- Check the fine print on each loan you’re looking at. Look at each lender’s interest rates and terms – this part might be a little tedious but it could save you a lot of money in fees.
- Apply for the loan that’s the best fit for you and secure your funding.
Should you get an adoption loan?
If you know you’ll be able to pay the money back down the line, an adoption loan may be the best way to fund the addition of your new family member. It allows you to spend the money on whatever part of the process you need, saving you the immediate hassle of worrying about money in an already stressful process. It’s also a great option for those looking to adopt sooner rather than later, or those who want to help out a specific child immediately.
How to apply for an adoption loan
Once you’ve got your finances sorted and have decided which route you’d like to go down, it’s time to start applying. If you choose to finance your adoption with a personal loan, browse through the lenders in our comparison tables to find the one that offers the best terms for your circumstances. When you find a lender you like, it’s time to apply.
The application process for personal loans is usually straightforward – you simply need to know the details of your income (after tax), your monthly outgoings, how much debt you currently have, and your personal details (such as your social security number).
Adoption can take a lot of time and patience, but when things get difficult, it’s important to think of the bigger picture. Remember why you wanted to adopt and make sure you’re setting yourself up for the safest and most secure future with your family.
Personal Loans for Every Occasion
Find Your Best Rate
Compare Best Personal Loans
Personal Loan Payoff Calculator
Personal Loan Lender Reviews
Personal Loans By Credit
Personal Loans for Fair Credit
Personal Loans for Good Credit
Personal Loans for Excellent Credit
Personal Loan Types
Auto Repair Loans
Credit Card Consolidation Loans
Fast Personal Loans
Home Improvement Loans
Horse Barn Financing
Family Planning Loans
Land Purchase Financing
Manufactured Home Financing
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Financing
Owner Builder Construction Loans
Personal Loans for House Down Payment
Personal Loans for Self Employed
Personal Loans for Furniture Expenses
Debt Consolidation Loans
Vacation & Travel Loans
Emergency Personal Loans
Personal Loans with Co-signers
Home Improvement Financing
Bathroom Remodel Financing
Basement Remodel Financing
Boat Dock Loans
Driveway Paving Financing
Home Addition Financing
Hot Tub Financing
Home Insulation Financing
Interior & Exterior Painting Financing
Kitchen Remodel Financing
Kitchen Cabinet Financing
Pole Barn Financing
Solar Panel Financing
Swimming Pool Financing
Sunroom Addition Loans
Window Replacement Financing